Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Til There Was You

Today's feature is about chance encounters.  But first I have to ask if you believe in coincidences.  I, as I am sure you, have heard that there is no such things as coincidences.  But who made that statement?  Who determined that then made it a universal law that we all quote?  I mean who was the first person that said "There is no such things as coincidences" and the person who heard it said, "You are absolutely right!"  Then that person repeated it to the next person who repeated it to the next and so on and so on.  And will we ever know who really started it because we all know that once it went viral the last person to say it would have taken credit for it.  With something that big I am sure everyone would wanted to be the author of that statement.  Anyway I digress.  I think that there is a difference between chance encounters and coincidences.  Coincidences may seem odd or make you feel uneasy when they happen.  You know that creepy feeling you get when you can't explain something?  Which is probably why we are so quick to discredit them.  Chance encounters or meetings usually leave us puzzled but in a way that leaves us guessing about the purpose of it.
The "why did I meet that person", or the "how did that happen that we were both at the same place at the same time"?  This, for me anyway, leads me to believe in divine intervention.  That people are brought into our lives for reasons unknown to us.  I am sure we all have all had this happen to us.  You meet someone that you feel like you have known forever.  Or you meet someone and immediately have a connection and sense of ease with that just can't be explained because you are after all strangers.
This has happened a few times in my life.  My best friend Tiffany and I met this way.  We were assigned as roommates in college.  Out of all the freshman girls we were selected to live together.  Of course our relationship had its bumps along the way.  By bumps I mean that by the second month of school we changed roommates.  We could not live together.  But by the next year of school our friendship rekindled and we were inseparable.  In hindsight we were too similar that it was like being with yourself doubled.  Who the heck wants that?  It was a very needy unsettling time for me being away from home that I wasn't in the best mental state.  Add another girl fresh from home with her own feelings very similar to mine and you had the ingredients for disaster.  But like I said it all hashed out and here we are today still the best of friends.  I could have had anyone as a roommate in school and yet we were brought together and formed a friendship that has lasted 18 years.  I had no part in us meeting but we were meant to be in each others lives.  And that is why we still are today.  There is a plan for me bigger than me or what I can envision.
8 year ago today I met David.  Talk about divine intervention and chance encounters.  There are so many minute elements to the circumstances of our meeting, that if even one was different we never would have met.  Our lives were very different and seemingly going in opposite directions.  Then BAM, out of nowhere we were brought together.  And from that first meeting we knew that our lives would never be the same.  Neither of us knew if something or anything would come about from that meeting, but we knew that we had affected the other one.  Any cliche you want to pick would probably apply.  Within an hour of our introduction we were talking and joking with each other like we had known each other for years.  There was an instant connection and feeling of ease around him.  8 years later it still boggles my mind that we found each other.  To me it just proves that we are meant to be together.  Our relationship is not without its bumps either.  Loss of jobs, new jobs, selling a home, buying a new home, moving, old kids, new kids, the list could go on and on.  Truth is we were brought together but it was up to us to take care of that and make it work.  It is not often you are so blatantly given the chance to be happy that you need to look after it.  We certainly have had our trials and tribulations over the years.  As I always tell David, "It isn't always easy, but it's always worth it".  And that is the truth.  It is work to be married and care for another person.  But it isn't hard work if it comes from a place of love.  I was given a gift when David came into my life.  It is true that I celebrate days like today, the anniversary of our meeting.  It's important to me to celebrate us.  To be honest I like remembering how we met and I still get those butterflies in my belly when I think of it.  It seems like it was just yesterday.  May 10, 2003 was truly the first day of the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment