Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hot Hot Hot

Well, hello there.  It seems I have been a little lax in my blogging duties.  I decided when I started blogging every day that I would take weekends off.  I guess I inadvertently made those into long weekends.
So, I will say it because I know everyone is thinking it.  Boy is it hot outside today!  What cracks me up is that we complain about the cold.  Then we complain about the rain, insert chorus of Milli Vanilli Blame It On the Rain here.  But yet it happens every year.  We get that first hot day and BAM! The complaining about the heat commences.  And this line of complaining will surely stick around for a good 3 months.  You get the people that say,"It's not the heat.  It's the humidity I can't stand."  And in part that is true.  The humidity definitely makes it worse, but let's face it people, hot is hot.  90 degrees is still pretty darn hot.  Yes, I know it was only 80 or so today but when you jump from 50, that drastic change is pretty noticeable.  I, like many, was unprepared for the day.  My poor little guy was in long pants and a long sleeve t-shirt.  I was in jeans and a 3/4 length sleeve top. With flip flops though, because we all know that if your feet are cool your whole body will be cool. Can you hear the snort and yeah right that just flew out of my mouth.
So, the summer is coming.  The season we wait all winter for then hate when it's here.  I like the summer.  My birthday is in the summer.  When I was a kid I hated that my birthday was in the summer because I didn't get the school party.  The teacher would make you a birthday crown and your mom would send in cupcakes for the class and everyone would know it was your birthday.  I got the token crown all the other summer birthday kids got and that really didn't quite measure up.  If you know what I mean.  Now as an adult I see the error of my thinking.  It's great that I never had to go to school on my birthday.  When I worked outside the home and I categorize it as such because I still work full time.  I just don't get a paycheck for it.  Anyway, when I worked in the hospital or clinic I never worked on my birthday.  One place I worked at actually gave you your birthday off as a paid holiday.  I was let go from there when they downsized because I would never have left a place with perks like that!  It's like they could read my mind.  I like to have a birthday month.  Yes, you heard me right.  One day just isn't enough.  It's too hard to cram everything in to just one day.  I can't possibly see everyone I want to celebrate my birthday with all in one day. Hence birthday month.  Now getting everyone to buy into that philosophy is the trick.  Before Jeff David and I would go to NYC for the weekend.  That was always fun.  Not like we can't go with Jeff, but let's face it.  NYC in August is pretty miserable as it is, never mind with a toddler.  Plans and traditions change when you have kids.  That's ok because you make new ones.  Sometimes it's good to mix things up a bit.  Who cares that tradition steeped me is having palpitations while I type that sentence.  Sometimes you just gotta get comfortable with being uncomfortable.  I have been saying that for a while now and still not quite getting the hang of it.  Repetition should help.  Here's hoping anyway.  Cheers to new traditions and the joys of personal growth discomfort brings:).  Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment