Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Happy Place

I know many people have a happy place. And to most it is an imaginary place they go to when feeling stressed or some unpleasant emotion.  It has even been said in movies, "Find your happy place".  For me I have a real, tangible happy place.  Known to the general public as Trader Joe's, I call it TJ's.  Yeah, we're that kind of close.  I have conversations with people about it.  Had one just this morning with my friend Trish.  The pair of us talking about what we like to buy, what our kids like to eat from there, and any new products that we "have to try".  I exclaim with astonishment when people have never been.  They usually get a, "What!!! It's only like the best place on earth!"  And I really think that it is.  My husband on the other hand tends to disagree.  Whenever I give him something new to try he will say to me, "Where did this come from? Wait, let me guess, Trader Joe's".  And 9 times out of ten he is right.  Now it would be an exaggeration if I said that everything I bought from there was top notch.  There have been a few items that I wouldn't buy again and some items that I enjoy that David doesn't.  Well folks you can't win them all.  And since I do the shopping he eats what I give him.
There is just something so relaxing about being there.  The carts all glide well.  The aisles are not overcrowded.  If they are stocking shelves they will move out of your way, not expect you to maneuver around their blockade.  They are always more then willing to answer any question you have and check for any item you can't find.  Then if it is not in back they will check the computer to let you know when they will be getting it in the store.  I once ordered a case of chips for my brother.  I had brought a couple of bags of sweet potato chips to my parents at Christmas.  He liked them so much he joked that he would like to have some.  So I went to TJ's ordered a case then shipped it to him.  Boy was he surprised.  18 bags of sweet potato chips.  So good!  They are always friendly and a pleasure to be around.  All in all it is one heck of a great place to shop.  I wish ours had 2 buck chuck in it because I have heard that is a pretty good wine for $2.  Their prices are wonderful.  Which is just the added bonus.  I would shop there even if they were pricey.  Since I am there every week it's a good thing that they aren't.  Their store brand is better in some cases then name brands for the same product.  I just recently discovered that most breads have a preservative in it that is a form of formeldahyde.  No joke!  Their breads do not have it and they are cheaper then a loaf of Pepperidge Farm.  That's a classic win win to me if you ever saw one.  If you use their reusable bags they enter you into a drawing to get free groceries.  I haven't won yet, but I will someday.  I just know it.  I could go on and on about the perks of shopping there but you might be getting bored with it by now.  If you live near one and have not shopped there then shame on you and you don't know what you're missing.  If you don't have one near you, I am so sorry to hear that.  Maybe you should move.

1 comment: