Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hmm, What Was That?

So, I had to run a quick errand to the UPS store the other day.  As I have told you before I like to shop and a lot of that shopping is done online.  What I may have neglected to tell you is that I am also a big returner.  Just because I fell in love with the image on my computer screen does not mean that I will love it when I try it on.  I told you before about why I shop online but in case you are new I will catch you up.  Selection online is way better than the stores especially if you need a petite length.  I need petite for height people, I am not trying to profess that I am Kate Moss.  I am vertically challenged and many of my favorite stores carry only a small number of the shorter lengths or don't have them at all.  Next I hate trying things on in stores.  Always have.  If you ever need a blow to your ego just go into those fluorescent lit dressing rooms.  Eeeeek!  I much prefer the lighting and comfort of my own bedroom.  So that's pretty much why I shop online.  Of course there is always the possibility of a return.  Because it didn't fit, because I don't actually need it or oops I already have one.  This is the girl who almost bought an item of her own clothing back at the consignment shop.  If I didn't check the tag to see that it was my number I probably would have.  It must have been nice or I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.  Crazy I know.
I like to shop at online stores that allow you to return in the actual store so I don't have to pay for return shipping.  I avoid that at all costs.  Gap used to have free return shipping but that is a faint memory.  Also, a gripe I have with them although I love them is you can't exchange an online item for a store item.  It has to be a separate transaction.  Which is frustrating when you only need a different size or color.  Minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.  But they are also super strict about their return policy dates.  So if I am hemming and hawing about an item I have to keep track of the date I bought it.  Once I was one day past the due date and they let me return the item but made a huge deal out of it.  I felt like saying that I had probably paid their salary for the last year so I'm sure they could let it slide this one time.  But, I was brought up better then that so I said nothing.  Even though the customer is always right!
So here I was at UPS returning a package to the Gap.  Oh yeah they get you sometimes with online only items that can be returned by mail only.  Bastards!  I had a prepaid label so all I wanted was to drop it off and get a receipt so I could track it.  If I am expecting another package I will just give it to the driver at my house.  Even more convenient.  But I haven't been shopping much so I wasn't expecting to see the brown truck anytime soon.  It's usually pleasant at the store.  They are friendly enough and if there isn't a line I am in and out in less than a minute.  That is not an exaggeration.  It was earlier this week when it was cold and rainy.  Oh wait, it's still like that! Anyway I was wearing my Sin City Firefighters sweatshirt.  David is as you know a Lynn firefighter.  And I am sure you know that Lynn is called the city of sin.  Everyone knows that stupid ditty or limerick or whatever you want to call it.  I ran in to drop off the package.  The guy who was serving me was very pleasant.  It was the other guy lounging on the counter that felt the need to chime in with, "Lynn Lynn city of sin" and completes the saying.  I have gotten way past tired of hearing it.  Everyone feels the need to say something about where I live.  So I plaster on a fully fake grin and say, "Yup that's right".  Hoping that will shut him up.  But noooooo, ignorant man keeps going.  It was either snap and unleash a can of whoop ass on him or walk away.  I am proud to say that I chose to walk away while shaking my head in disgust.  Of course I was shaking it enough to get my point across and the muttering didn't hurt either.  Unless you live here I say zip it.  Yeah there are bad parts to Lynn, probably more than good, but everywhere has bad parts.  We have some really nice parts too. Having where you live be the source of ridicule does get tiring.  But hey, I'm sure we won't live here forever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment