Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Can't Get Enough

So, food is a necessity in life.  I think the statistic is that a human can live without food for two weeks.  Another fun fact is that one would die of starvation before they lost all their cellulite.  If you are one of the lucky people in the world without cellulite then you shouldn't be reading my blog.  Just kidding--I'm not a hater and I don't discriminate.  But I may talk about you behind your back.  Haha
Anyway, I love to eat.  And that is probably the understatement of the century.  I think about food and what I am going to cook from the minute I wake up.  Some of the planning has to be around my son and making food that we will all eat.  I refuse to be the mom that doubles as a short order cook.  But mostly I am just thinking about what appeals to me that day.  If I get a thought in my head, my husband knows that we will be eating it soon.  And probably every week until either I get sick of it or he begs me to stop making it.  That also goes for restaurants.  If I want to go out to eat, chances are it is to a specific place for a specific dish.
If you asked me what my favorite food is, I would most likely tell you Italian.  I do really enjoy Italian food.  I also enjoy cooking italian dishes, although there is not one lick of Italian blood running through my veins.  I think I am pretty good cook too.  What's that saying?  No one has died yet?  But I did get myself hospitalized a year and a half ago after food poisoning.  How embarrassing is that?  To have to tell the doctors and nurses that you poisoned yourself?  To be fair it was not my actual cooking, but one of the ingredients in the food.  It took me a long time to eat spaghetti and meatballs again.
I think my all time favorite would have to be a category of food not an actual food item.  I LOVE breakfast foods.  My taste buds are pleased with a wide range of foods.  From the simple things like a muffin or cinnamon roll to more labor intensive fare like french toast, pancakes, and waffles.  I do eat eggs too.  Sometimes there is nothing better than an egg sandwich or an omelette.  But since I didn't start eating eggs until I was 27, the sweet breakfast treats win out.  Before I started eating eggs my biggest gripe was that restaurants didn't have a big enough section for us non-egg eaters.  I actually thought about opening my own restaurant called, "No Eggs At All".  I thought it was pretty clever.  But then I ventured over to the dark side and my egg-free restaurant dreams were shattered.  There is something so spectacular about cinnamon, butter and syrup that when combined take me to a place of nirvana(and not the band).  Just this morning I texted my friend a picture of my breakfast.  I had made french toast using his family's portugese sweet bread(who knew the portugese and the french were such good friends?)  I thought he needed to see the yummy goodness I was about to consume with relish.  Relish being delight not the sweet pickle kind. 
So, you would think that I love going out to eat for breakfast.  Au contraire my friends.  I am, brace yourself for this revelation, a breakfast snob!  The audible gasps from my 6 followers are astounding.  Yes, it is true.  I like the breakfast I make better than anywhere I have gone.  With the exception of my father's crepes.  For you non-french, live under a rock kind of people, they are thin french style pancakes.  I am at present 35 years of age and if I happen to sleep at my parent's house I will ask my dad to make me crepes for breakfast.  And like the awesome dad that he is, he makes them every time.  I will proceed to sit and gorge myself on them until I want to get sick.  Usually from a sugar overdose.  Why you ask?  The answer is simple.  There is only one way to eat them.  And that is with brown sugar.  Lots of brown sugar.  So much sugar that you feel its grittiness between your teeth.  I can't get enough!  Don't even get me started on breakfast for dinner! How great is it that you can eat those delicious foods twice in one day?
I think my love of breakfast foods to be directly correlated with my love of dessert.  I would eat dessert before my meal if it were socially acceptable.  My mother always says that my father and I have a sweet tooth that is bigger than we are.  So, I guess I can blame him for this vice of mine.  I actually stop eating my meal to save room for dessert.  Yes it is true.  And to be honest some breakfast foods are just glorified desserts.  Which in my book is absolutely fine.  I mean there's eggs and milk in most of them.  It's just like eating scrambled eggs, only better.  Yes folks, I can and will justify and rationalize it.  You just try and stop me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment