Monday, June 13, 2011

Lend Me Your Eyes

Friends, Romans, Countrymen lend me your ear.  Or in my case lend me your eyes.  Not for too long.  Just long enough to read today's edition then they are all yours again.
I had to go to the dermatologist today.  I made the appointment a couple of weeks ago when I found a troubling spot on my head.  Ok, that's a slight bending of the truth.  This spot had been bothering me for a couple of days.  I will spare you the details of how it was bothering me.  I said to David, "Take a look at his would ya.  You think I need to go see the doctor?"  He took one look at it and said, "Yes!!!"  So, I called and made the appointment.  I knew I needed to go to the doctor but yet I waited until I asked David to see what he thought.  Isn't it funny how we do that?  Like we need to have someone else say ooh that looks bad before we acknowledge what we already knew.  I mean would we even be asking someone to look at it if we didn't already know that it was abnormal?  So, like any dermatologist it is so hard to get an appointment.  The only exception I have ever found was when I made an appointment for Jefferson.  He got in right away.  
I spent the next two weeks after I made the appointment alternating between hoping it stayed as bad as it was and hoping it went away so I didn't have to go at all.  I mean how many times do you make an appointment to see the doctor and by the time you get there your issue is resolved?  Then you just look like a hypochondriac.  And who wants to have their doctor thinking they're crazy.   I knew it would probably have to come off.  What was worrying me was how we was going to do it.  
The morning was crazy.  I needed to get to the grocery store and get back home before I had to get Jeff over to David.  David's schedule is so crazy that some days just giving me an hour to run to an appointment takes a lot of finagling.  So, I get it all done and get to the doctor's office a whole 15 minutes early.  Hmmm, what should I do?  I play a couple of hands of words with friends( the new game I am addicted to) and then head inside.  They have a Rachael Ray cooking show playing so I spend my time between gazing at the tv and reading on my phone.  Did you know that kindle has free books??  I just discovered that the other day.  And I think it is pretty cool.  I am reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.  What is ironic is that I have had the actual book sitting on my bookshelf for probably 4 years and all it took was for it to be free on my kindle app for me to read it.  What's good is that I can flick back and forth from reading on my phone and reading the actual book.  Best of both worlds I say.
Then the little old lady calls me to my room.  This lady is a real hot ticket.  I have seen her there before.  All she really does is bring people to their exam room and clean up after they leave.  I just think it is great that she is always put together.  She has her hair done and make up on and trendy clothes.  Today was a sweater and jeans.  She has got to be in her 80's and there she is.  I think its great.  So, as she is bringing me to the room she stops and says to me that I have the "loveliest face".  I can't make this stuff up.  So I say thank you and smile.  Then she goes on and says, "When you smile your whole face lights up and it's just lovely.  I don't say that to many people but with you it's true."  So, I tell her that she has just made my day.  Is there any better way to make your day fabulous?
The doctor comes in and we attempt at small talk.  This doctor of mine does not have the best bedside manner but he is a great doctor.  That's a sacrifice I am willing to make.  We aren't friends, he is there to treat me.  I don't need the chit chat and small talk.  So, I show him my problem and he says, "Oh yeah, we need to take that off."  So, of course now I am trying to stay cool but my heart is pounding and my mind is racing.  How is he going to do that?  Is it going to hurt?  Don't forget to ask him the questions you had about after care.  See, I had questions about how to care for it prepared.  I knew it would be coming off.  I was worried he was going to burn it off with liquid nitrogen.  Now, it's been a while since I have had that done but I clearly remember it not being pleasant.  I am trying to prepare myself when he says the golden words of I will numb it with lidocaine and cut it off.  Most people would be freaking out about that.  But not me.  I am so happy I can barely contain myself.  All the while trying not to let my relief and happiness show so he thinks I am a freak who likes pain.
It all works out well.  I remember my questions.  It's not complicated to take care of it.  All in all it was a successful visit.  Well, if you consider leaving with a hole in my head success.  Til next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment